Two days ago, Thursday, August 28, was Kirby Day—that is, Jack Kirby’s birthday. It brought a delightful outpouring of remembrance and appreciation that spilled over into Friday. The Kirby4Heroes campaign took the occasion to raise money for The Hero Initiative—I hope they were able to raise a lot!
It’s never too late to donate to The Hero Initiative.🙂
I was glad to contribute to Kirby Day in my own small way: with a posting at Acts of Geek (also run here on my blog), and by taking part in the big two-part (one, two) celebration over at Comics Alliance.
I went a little Twitter crazy on the 28th, tweeting links to online examples of top-notch Kirby scholarship, Kirby appreciation, and Kirbyana. For the record, here are the things I linked to (besides those mentioned above):
- Things You Can Do for Jack Kirby’s 97th Birthday, at Den of Geek!
- Tom Spurgeon’s awesome annual Kirby gallery at The Comics Reporter!
- Essential reading: Gary Groth’s interview with Jack and Roz Kirby (1989), over at The Comics Journal.
- An audio treasure: Kirby’s recorded interview from the very first San Diego Con!
- HiLobrow’s wonderful series of posts from 2011, Kirb Your Enthusiasm.
- NPR: Raising A Birthday Glass To Comics King Jack Kirby (a piece on the Kirby Day celebration at Schmaltz Brewery in Clifton Park, NY)
- Aaron Noble’s super-smart blog entry on the composition of Kirby’s 2-page spreads.
- Jack Kirby in Context, a wonderful post full of Kirby family photos, at Sean Howe’s Untold Story Tumblr
- Jack Kirby Makes Me Stupid, by Dean Haspiel, at Trip City
- Patrick Reed on Kirby’s Wildest DC Comics Covers, at Comics Alliance
- Gregg Bendian’s Interzone performing “Primordial Ink,” from the awesome album Requiem for Jack Kirby (a video—wish I could embed it here!)
Of course I also followed the #WakeUpAndDraw campaign on Twitter, which you see here:
(Dig this Hollywood Reporter article about #WakeUpAndDraw!)
Congratulations to Jillian Kirby and her family for leading the charge on Kirby Day! As far as I’m concerned, it’s now a genuine holiday.🙂